In today’s article we’ll answer the question on how to reset canon pixma ink cartridge.
Ink cartridges are integral parts of the printing process as they store the ink necessary for outputting visible information on paper.
This is why your printer won’t work properly if there’s something wrong with its ink cartridges. As such, regular maintenance and a certain level of troubleshooting knowledge can help keep your printing running smoothly for a long time.
Method 1 On How To Reset Canon Pixma Ink Cartridge: Using a Chip Resetter
The ink cartridges used in Canon Pixma printers are equipped with chips that monitor the level of ink inside the cartridge.
When the ink’s level is low or when the cartridge is out of ink, the integrated chip detects this and lets you know a refill is due. It also triggers the printer to stop working until you refill it.
There are two types of chips you can use in Canon Pixma ink cartridges, one that resets automatically and one that doesn’t.
To reset the latter, you’ll need to purchase the correct resetter according to the printer’s model then follow the steps below after refilling your original cartridge:
Step 1: Transfer the ink cartridge(s) from the printer to the resetter
Simply take the ink cartridge out of your Canon Pixma printer and then place the cartridge inside the main channel of the resetter.
Step 2: Ensure there’s contact between the cartridge’s chip and the resetter plate
This is a crucial part of the resetting process using a resetter where you need to make sure that the chip integrated into the ink cartridge you just inserted into the resetter has established contact with the resetter plate.
You can easily verify this contact by checking the chip resetter and observing the LED light on it. If the LED starts to flash repeatedly once you’ve gently pressed on the ink cartridge for a few seconds, then there’s successful contact between the cartridge’s chip and the resetter’s plate.
Step 3: Maintain the contact for a few seconds
Next, you should keep light pressure on the ink cartridge inside the resetter until the LED light shows a steady, constant light.
Step 4: Transfer the ink cartridge(s) from the resetter to the printer
Resetting is now complete, so remove the ink cartridge from the resetter and put it back into its slot in your Canon Pixma.
Method 2 On How To Reset Canon Pixma Ink Cartridge: Via Universal Approach
This is a universal method that can work on pretty much every Canon Pixma model, including:
- iP1600, iP1800, iP2600, iP2700, iP2702.
- MP150, MP160, MP170, MP180, MP190, MP210, MP240, MP250, MP260, MP270, MP280, MP450, MP460, MP470, MP480, MP490, MP495.
- MX300, MX310, MX320, MX330, MX340, MX350, MX360, MX410, MX420, MX432, MX439, MX452, MX512, MX522.
- MG2120, MG2220, MG3120, MG3220, MG4120, MG4220.
- On your computer screen, click “Resume”, “OK”, or ” Stop/Reset”. The printing should proceed under the ‘ink out’ mode.
- Alternatively, press the “Resume”, “OK”, or ” Stop/Reset” for the same result.
Method 3: For Canon Pixma with Display Screen
If your Canon Pixma features a display (LCD) screen, then one of the following procedures should help you reset the ink cartridges:
Step 1: for MP, MX, and MG models
- Turn the printer off by hitting the power button. Make sure the printer isn’t working.
- While pressing the power button, push the “Stop/Reset” button for a few seconds.
- While still pushing the power button, take your finger off of the “Stop/Reset” button” then press it twice in a row.
- After about 30 seconds, you should see a ‘0’ on the printer’s screen.
- Press the “Stop/Reset” button 4 times consecutively.
- Press the power button 2 times consecutively.
- Push the power button once more to shut off the printer. Resetting the printer is finished.
- Remove all the USB cables from the printer and unplug the power cord.
- Open the cartridge slot and push the power button.
- While pressing the power button, plug the power cable.
- Close the cartridge slot then let go of the power button. Resetting the ink cartridge is finished.
Step 2: for MP 140 – 830 models
- Power up the printer.
- Press the “Reset” button and the “Color Start” button simultaneously for about 5 seconds.
- Let go of the “Color Start” button first, followed by the “Reset” button.
- Wait about 30 seconds until the printer completes the configuration setup. After that, you should see a ‘1’ on the printer’s screen.
- Push the “Tool” button for a few seconds. You should now see the letter ‘A’ displayed.
- While holding the “Tool” button, hold the “Reset” button until the lights on the printer stop blinking.
- Let go of the “Tool” button first, followed by the “Reset” button.
- Next, hold the “Stop/Reset” button and push the power button.
- While holding the power button, push the “Stop/Reset” button twice once the power LED lights up.
- Upon letting go of the “Stop/Reset” button and the power button, service mode should be prompted. You should see a menu on the display where each listed function corresponds to a certain number of presses.
- Once the LED light flashes green, push the “Stop/Reset” button the appropriate number of times specified for the function. Each press is indicated by orange then green light.
Method 4: For Canon Pixma without Display Screen
The following steps should work for resetting cartridges in Canon Pixma iP series printers.
- Press down on the “Resume” button and the power button simultaneously for approximately 5 seconds.
- Let go of the “Resume” button.
- Push the “Resume” button 5 times in a row.
- Let go of the power button. Within a few seconds, you should see the blinking light of the power/ink level go steady.
- Printing should now proceed under the ‘ink out’ mode.
There you have it, a straightforward guide on how to reset Canon Pixma ink cartridge. To ensure that the resetting process is successful, you need to use the appropriate method corresponding to the model of your printer.
Keep in mind that you may have to repeat one or more of the methods explained above in case of installing multiple ink cartridges.